Tuesday, April 03, 2007

My (Sorta) New Love Affair

I used to do radio. And I loved it. Being on the other side of that wall...knowing that i'm speaking and unseen people are listening...it was heady and lovely and intoxicating. Every week i would walk into the station and see those microphones there and the control board and i'd just get excited. The only thing that would make me more excited was when listeners would call in to react to what we were saying and to what music we were playing.

I listened to alot radio back then. Probably just as much as i did when i was a kid. But after i stopped doing the radio show, i also stopped listening to the radio. It wasn't purposeful. It just kinda fell away from my life altogether. Then i got down with mp3s and it was a wrap. If you can create your own playlist for every moment of your life, what do you need to listen to commercial radio for? Ok admittedly, i'm probably missing out on a lot of new music and artists and i do feel out of the loop when it comes to that. I feel like i should know at least one song by TV On The Radio but i don't. oh well...

But now...now. i have a new radio love. And ironically, i discovered it as an mp3. a podcast to be exact. Chicago Public Radio has this amazing show called This American Life. Ira Glass is the host. Each week he brings you stories on a particular theme. Stories of average Americans of all ages and races. It's poignant, insightful, hilariously funny and sometimes sad but it absolutely perfect...and it just makes me oh so happy. In fact, in recent weeks, i don't think i've been happier than when i'm listening to his show. I anxiously await the next week's download and i plan out when i will listen in the car...only in the car. It's my special time and place to reflect on This American Life. Oftentimes, I've stayed out in front of my house, in my car for an extra half hour because i just wanted to finish the hour-long program before going inside. I can't listen inside the house. It's just not as special. I don't know why.

2 comments:

Piscean Princess said...

DA-MA-LI!!!!!!!

[screaming & yelling & jumping up & down like a lunatic]

I think of you often and hope that you and your sons are well.

Thank you so much for dropping in on me today. We've both been MIA for a while now....well, some of us a little longer than others! Let's try not to let that happen again - even if we turn our backs on the blogs...

Hugs & stuff!!!

P.P. aka African Cheetah [smile]

Anonymous said...

i thought of you as well!! and i was very glad to see that you were/are still writing somewhere. if i hadn't found your other blog, i'd have sent you an email anyway...

my boys are phenomenal. crazy photos coming soon...

and now i can call you Miss Cheetah :)